Established in 1901, Sacred Heart Catholic Church is the oldest Roman Catholic parish in the Manchester area in Richmond, Va. Originally, Sacred Heart served an Irish and German congregation, and today it serves a growing Hispanic population. The church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
In 1990, the Sacred Heart Catholic Church community welcomed the Jesuits, and they still remain in residence today. That same year, the church opened the Sacred Heart Center in the former Sacred Heart School building.
The Sacred Heart Center is a non-profit community center serving the Hispanic community. Its mission is to create a hub for Richmond’s Latino community that opens opportunities for economic and social integration, self-realization and community leadership. The programs offered include preparation for obtaining a GED as well as English classes and family literacy.
Additionally, the Sacred Heart Center partners with other nonprofit organizations and corporate volunteers to offer workshops on topics ranging from health and nutrition to parenting to financial literacy.
Sacred Heart Catholic Church is a two-story, brick, Romanesque church with a gable front and a bell tower at corner. The church has a stone belt course at the floor level and a stone and brick parapet above a semi-circular, arched stained glass window in the gable end. The primary entrance is a pair of paneled doors in the bell tower that are approached by stone steps. The bell tower has a concave pyramidal roof. Sacred Heart was the first Catholic church in Richmond, VA south of the James River.